2024-01-19

Playing with beelzebub

image

While looking for a new project to hone my skills I came across the beelzebub. Wikipedia says Beelzebub, occasionally known as the Lord of the Flies, was a Philistine god and later a major demon for some Abrahamic religions. In this case it’s a honeypot written in Go :-).

My plan was something like:

  1. Create a Kubernetes cluster on AWS using the EKS service
  2. Deploy the honeypot into the cluster
  3. Setup logs collection to see what’s going on
  4. Expose the honeypot to a dangerous network, like the Internet, and wait

Create a Kubernetes cluster

Once I have set up my access to AWS and installed all the necessary tools, the easiest way to create a Kubernetes cluster seemed to be this:

eksctl create cluster --name beelzebub-cluster --region eu-central-1

It took about 15 minutes but went smoothly.

Deploy the honeypot into the cluster

Next, I just cloned the beelzebub repo and created the Kubernetes resources from within the repo:

helm install beelzebub ./beelzebub-chart

Setup logs collection

Now, a Kubernetes cluster provides logs from several components:

  • control plane
  • nodes
  • applications

I was most interested in the application (or container) logs. For this I used the CloudWatch observability addon for EKS. To make it work I needed to attach some new policies to the worker nodes role and then create the addon.

aws iam attach-role-policy \
    --role-name <my-worker-node-role> \
    --policy-arn arn:aws:iam::aws:policy/CloudWatchAgentServerPolicy  \ 
    --policy-arn arn:aws:iam::aws:policy/AWSXrayWriteOnlyAccess
aws eks create-addon --addon-name amazon-cloudwatch-observability --cluster-name beelzebub-cluster

Expose the honeypot to the Internet

Then, I created a Kubernetes service of type LoadBalancer:

kubernetes expose deployment beelzebub-beelzebub-chart --name beelzebub-public --type LoadBalancer --port 22 --target-port 2222

I had to wait for a bit so the load balancer is set up. I opened the CloudWatch Logs Insights, selected the /aws/containerinsights/beelzebub-cluster/application log group and entered the following query:

filter kubernetes.pod_name="beelzebub-beelzebub-chart-b86c7dff8-59ldz"
| fields @timestamp, log_processed.event.Msg, log_processed.event.User, log_processed.event.Password, log_processed.event.Command, log_processed.event.CommandOutput
| sort @timestamp desc
| limit 20

To make sure everything is working, I logged into the honeypot and observed the logs (it takes a while until the logs get to the CloudWatch):

ssh root@<some-string>.elb.eu-central-1.amazonaws.com ls -la
# obviously, the default password is root :-)
image

Clean up

Once I was done, I removed the cluster (and all of its workloads and related AWS services):

eksctl delete cluster --name beelzebub-cluster --region eu-central-1

You might also want to delete the related CloudWatch Log groups.

1 comment: